Thursday, April 2, 2009

General Anti-virus PopUp

I was going to a web page from my G-mail service when everything went crazy. Pop ups were telling me I am infected and that I need to install General Anti-virus to get out of this mess. Well General Anti-virus is malware. That's bad software that is harmful to your computer. So what did I do to get out of this mess?

 

Well I certainly did not click on any buttons in the pop up windows. No OK or Cancel buttons. I used the Task Manager to shut these pop ups down one at a time and it was a battle to close them. To open the Task Manager: right mouse click on the Task Bar at the bottom of the computer screen to select Task Manager. From there select the Applications Tab. I found the program(s) I needed to shut down, left clicked it and then clicked End Task. I had to do this several times to shut down all pop ups. Now I am scanning the laptop for what might be left over. Being click happy is not what was required at that moment.

 

If this happens to you, think before you click. Do not panic. And don't click on any buttons in the pop up windows. Under no circumstances download General Anti-virus.

 

I will post a follow up on what I found or did not find.


No comments: